(My) Sails Of Charon(a)
¡Humpy SnowtimeSolsticeZ, allzy’all JewDreoX’slamics and PonyPaganz! Nuthin’ but love for the blessings of yer alleged cultures and the beautiful folks who have carried them to this nexus of History and My Foot Broken Off In Your Collective Fistula-Holes.
“The Sails of Charon” is the first song on the second side of German Jesus-N-Sex-Metal band Scorpions’ 1977 album “Taken By Force”, whose cover was much more banable than that of it’s follow up “Virgin Killer”.
Charon should not be confused with Chiron, my neighbors down the street in Paul Allen’s BioTech Alley.
• Suspected East Bay bomber to be featured on America’s Most Wanted
• – 2007-08-30
• Daniel Andreas San Diego, an animal-rights activist and federal fugitive wanted in connection with two East Bay bombings in 2003, will be featured again this weekend on Fox Network’s “America’s Most Wanted.” San Diego’s case first was aired on the television program in March 2004, and again in…
• Novartis Delivers Dynamic Sales and Earnings Growth in the First Nine Months of 2006, Reaffirms Outlook for Record Full-Year Results
• – 2006-10-19
• — Group continues double-digit expansion — Nine-month net sales up 14% (+15% lc) to USD 27.0 billion on strong underlying growth and acquisition-related contributions — Operating income rises 17%, supported by all divisions…
• Former Chiron Exec Joins APT Pharmaceuticals as CEO
• – 2006-09-06
• FOSTER CITY, Calif. — APT Pharmaceuticals Inc. (http://www.aptbio.com) has named the former chief medical officer of Chiron BioPharmaceuticals, Stephen G. Dilly, M.B.B.S., Ph.D., as chief executive officer.
• Research and Markets: A Fourth Division for Novartis under the Title Vaccines & Diagnostics, Will Be Created After the Acquisition of Chiron Corporation
• – 2006-09-01
• DUBLIN, Ireland — Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/c41412) has announced the addition of Espicom Business Intelligence’s Novartis Prospects to 2010 to their offering.
Chiron modestly named themelves after the Centaur Titan and uberteacher of medicine and true civility.
“Deep-thinking Chiron is the civilized Centaur who trained several famous disciples, being known for his wisdom and justice. Chiron, who was not a drunkard like other CENTAURS, never used his weapons against a man. Instead he spent his Old Age learning about herbs, and teaching to play the lyre to his pupils.”
The Scorp’s are referencing Charon, tho.
“Charon or Kharon (Greek Χάρων) was the ferryman of Hades who carried souls of the newly deceased across the river that divided the world of the living from the world of the dead. A coin to pay Charon for passage, usually an obolus or danake, was sometimes placed on or in the mouth of a dead person. Some authors say that those who could not pay the fee, or those whose bodies were left unburied, had to wander the shores for one hundred years. In the catabasis mytheme, heroes — such as Heracles, Orpheus, Aeneas, Dionysus and Psyche — journey to the underworld and return, still alive, conveyed by the boat of Charon. No ancient source provides a genealogy for the ferryman.”
Yeah, yeah. Except that the Etrusruskis lifted their whole Underworld from The Epic Of Gilgamesh, which has no Gods but does have Charon. He exists on the other side of the Ocean Styxx, and will gladly explain that as far as he knows of psuedo-immortals there’s just him in the grey fade-out place of Hades (where he acts as an information Kiosk) and Leviathan in the dark waters between the worlds. There are no Gods, and only the Tree of Life holds true immortality. Gilgamesh is given this tree to take back, which the Neolithic Prime Elemental Now Known as C’thulu steals mid-trip, making Him Immortal and Gilga’ bitter. Bitterer, as he was all boo-why in the first place over some boy.
Gilgamesh returned to spawn Civilization™, i guess because he was a tiny-pricked whiner who wanted everything as miserable as possible.
Dare to Dream, Summerian Globalist Giligan. Way to deforest Mesopotamia. We remember you, all right. What better fag to use as Epic Hero Archetype™ than an unrequited Bottom who loses the fucking TREE OF LIFE to a fish?
Western Civilization is like L’Cage Aux Follies in an unending expanding loop with all the funny parts replaced by active death squads and syphalitic rape gangs that rove the audience.
Former planet Pluto’s binary/moon is named after the Ferryman.
[i thimk Sri Levi’th’n had Lovecraft weave the mythos of his name-changing to distance Himself from the Hobbesian associations that his good moniker had suffered. He’s a good-hearted SquidDreamFishie, unlike the soul-sucking Combine Hobbes thought was so perfect a belly to wallow in.]